Monday, March 3, 2014

It's the little things...

My weight loss journey started a few years ago in 2011. I decided that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I wanted to LIVE my life and enjoy it. I started counting calories using a wonderful app called My Fitness Pal. I was sure I would die with my daily allowance of 1200 calories. Not only did I survive, I learned what portion control meant. I learned to "spend" my calories on lots of fresh, nutrient rich foods, and not so much of the pre-packaged, processed stuff I was accustomed to.

Counting calories allowed me to shed a few pounds quickly. Success!!! With that, I began to feel good for the first time in a long time. I decided to step up my game and throw some exercise in the mix. Ali has always been a runner, and I decided one day that I could become a runner too. Boy was I in for a big surprise. It wasn't as easy as it looked! I started myself off by using a Couch to 5K app. I had a really hard time running for more than a minute at a time. My shins hurt, my feet hurt, it was hard! I didn't give up though. I bought an elliptical trainer from a friend and used that to exercise on days when running wasn't an option. I also started taking a boot camp class that my friends Jennifer and Larisa were teaching. They sure whipped me into shape! 

As the pounds came off, running became easier. Soon I was ready for my first 5K! I decided that the Tunnel to Towers race in September in downtown Mobile was my goal. I ran the whole way without stopping!! After that, I was ready for more. 

Since that race I have ran in many, many 5Ks, a few 10Ks, two 15ks, and 6 half marathons. I met my weight loss goal of nearly 50 pounds, and have been in maintenance mode for over a year. 

Sometimes it's the little things that remind me how far I've come in this personal journey. Finding an old pair of shorts in the closet that are 4 sizes too big, seeing family photos of myself 45 lbs heavier, getting a compliment from someone who hasn't seen me in years. 

Today's little thing was getting a new drivers license. I have waited a long time to be able to change the printed weight on this little card that I use for identification so often. Today my weight is true!!! My picture is another thing that marks my progress. What a difference a few years makes!! Funny how such a little thing can make my day :)

So, here is the before and after pictures that gave me reason to smile today.

4 comments: