Sunday, September 22, 2013

Back to training, and the CCC10K

Last weekend was my Dad's 60th birthday. We decided to celebrate by getting a cabin on the lake in Orange Beach. Best. Decision. EVER. We had a blast spending quality time with everyone in one place. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was awesome!

This pier was behind the cabin. How beautiful is this??


As we were already going to be down that way and had plenty of people to look after our kids, my sister Jacqueline and I decided to get in a long run. After all, we half a half marathon coming up quickly! We got up early Sunday morning and decided to hit the Backcountry Trail in Orange Beach. Our goal was 6 miles, and the trails there provided us plenty of opportunity.





 We even forced Tanners girlfriend Traci to join us. LOL. Here is a great shot of us before our run... looking fresh and ready.


Our course was awesome! The trails are paved and wide enough that the other runners and a few bikers were able to share the path with us. Two miles into our run we came to the bathrooms and water fountain. We got a sip of water and continued on our way. We were running along, swatting at the incescent yellow flies, when all of a sudden we spotted this:



Three little raccoons up a tree!!! How cute are they?!? The momma was up there too, and she came down as we stood there gawking at the babies. We decided not to wear out our welcome and carried on. Two miles later and we were back at the water fountain and the path back to the truck. We knew we only had two miles to go!! This guy was lurking just off the path. We didn't stay to look at him very long. LOL!


I was feeling really good on this run! I had no knee pain at all, and that was huge for me. I had not taped my knees and I did not even bring a brace with me. I was a little worried at first, but with each passing mile my fears eased. It also helped that I had the girls to talk to. Running with my sisters sure made the time pass quickly. 

Before we knew it, we made the last turn and picked up our pace to get to the parking lot...and the air conditioner in my truck! Our goal pace was 12 minute miles (our anticipated pace for the Wine and Dine in November) and we were quite pleased to have ran faster than planned.


It was a great run, and it made me think back to the last time I attempted 6 miles. Almost 6 months ago I participated in the Crescent City Classic in New Orleans. Sadly I was injured at this time and was relegated to walking the course. I had both knees taped up with KT Tape, and braced with knee braces. I was a mess. Hahaha! I had a blast though!! The course was great, and flat. I was excited to have my bestie Larisa and her husband Donald there with us. It definitely made for a fun trip. I can't wait to go back in 2014. This time I will be running!!! 

Here is a little more information about the upcoming 2014 race:
About the Crescent City Classic
The Allstate Sugar Bowl Crescent City Classic is New Orleans’ (and the region’s) premier road race, and each year attracts over 20,000 runners. For 36 years, the CCC 10K has combined world-class competition, amateur participation and great fun for all participants.  The Classic is both physically challenging and a great New Orleans tradition!
The 2014 official Charity Partners include:
2.     Covenant House
3.     Girls on the Run
5.     LA SPCA
9.     WWOZ 
10.   Youth Run NOLA
As Charity Partners, the select 10 organizations will be part of the “Run For It” Program, the Official Charity Program of the Allstate Sugar Bowl Crescent City Classic. The “Run For It” Program is in its second year.  After successfully generating over $105,000 for local charity and nonprofits in 2013, the Crescent City Classic is hoping to raise $1 million through the “Run For It” Program to serve the Greater New Orleans area needs.

Here I am at the 2013 race with Ali, Larisa, Donald, Shannon, Mindy, and Paige. Larisa, Mindy, and Shannon are bloggers too. Check out Larisa's blog 0to26point2 and Mindy's blog Road Runner Girl These girls love a weekend race vacation as much as I do. I couldn't ask for better travel companions :)


Check out those medals! They actually have a spinning piece in the middle. Definitely worth running for!  


Did you know registration is already open for 2014? Mark your calendar!! It will be on April 19th at 8:00. The timing for this race is perfect! It falls right at the end of our Spring Break. What a way to end the break. Weekend in New Orleans :)

Who's up for a weekend trip to NOLA? It's sure to be a blast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment