Thursday, November 14, 2013

Senior Bowl 10K

November 2nd was one week out for my Disney half marathon. I really needed to get in at least a 6 mile run in order to make sure I was ready. Lucky for me, there was a 10K that morning!! I was really excited about this run because I'd never ran this race before. I was looking forward to a nice, flat course through downtown Mobile. I rode downtown with some friends, and was grateful that I knew tons of people participating in this run. Like I've said before, I'm a social runner!! I was a little sad that Ali wouldn't be able to run. His knee is still bothering him, and he has had to take some time off. 

I spent about an hour before the race (while the serious runners were warming up) chatting with other runner friends and former students who were there to run the 5K and fun run. 

I ran into my coworker, Ryan, before the start. We were both training for the Disney half :)  I also ran into my friend Mindy from Road Runner Girl at the start. We actually ran together for the first few miles. It was nice catching up with her!! 


The miles seemed to fly on by. I had forgotten just how pretty parts of downtown Mobile really are! I wish I had taken the time to stop and take some pictures of the massive, old oak trees. Running under them was fabulous. I started out with a little trouble finding my groove, but by mile 3 I was feeling great!! I didn't have to stop and walk a single time, and I also never stopped for water. This was huge for me! The weather was perfect. The cool temperatures made this a fantastic run, and I was also quite surprised that I had absolutely no knee pain :) I'm so thankful that I'm able to run pain free once again. 

As soon as I finished the 10K, it was time for the one mile charity run. Darby and Tyler were participating with the running club from Allentown. Darby was originally supposed to walk the course due to his broken arm, but he ended up running with some of his buddies from the running club! Tyler was planning of flying through the mile, and he positioned himself right up front at the starting line. Both boys finished well ahead of me. Tyler was actually right up in the top 10 :)

I walked the one mile fun run with these awesome ladies. Jessica and Christina both teach 5th grade with me. They both brought their kids with them too. It was nice getting to spend some time with them outside of work. 



The after party was a little disappointing. I was starving...but they were out of food by the time I finished the fun run. We ended up leaving shortly after and going to get some brunch. 

Overall, it was an absolutely fabulous morning. It was just what I needed to boost my confidence for my upcoming half marathon. This is a race that I plan on running again next year. Now I've got a time to beat!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment